Street Stradun or Placa how is called by Dubrovnik people, is the main street of the town. It stretches between the two town gates, the gate of Pile and Ploče. By walking reward remember that on that site once was the sea that separated the city into two parts. Today is paved with stone blocks, which are polished to shine a wooden floor, so it is called street-salon. All the houses were built on the Stradun after an earthquake hit the city in 1667. Have a similar layout, but almost all have the same facade and are the same height.
Stradun was walked by many tourists, the famous personality disorders, and stars Mickey Rourke, Kevin Spacey, Sean Connery, Tom Cruise, Beyonce... Stradun invite you to walk it and feel its rhythm. Stradun is also used for ceremonial processions, such as the Fiesta of Saint Blaise. New Year's Eve here named among the top 10 selections in the world.
Street earnings comprise a large number of important monuments within the Old Town.
Between Sponza Palace and St. Blaise rises Orlando's Column, the oldest preserved Public Sculpture in Dubrovnik, one of the most beautiful sights. It is the symbol of freedom and independence of Dubrovnik. It is made of stone, and shows a medieval knight in armor, holding a sword and shield. According to legend, hero Orlando (Rolando) helped in the liberation Dubrovnik Sacarena against, and beat them off the island Lokrum. So the citizens as a token of gratitude erected this pillar. Today we shall take place at Orlando's ceremonial opening event of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival on the pillar rises flag with the inscription "Libertas" symbolic of Dubrovnik.
At the exit from the main street towards the door panels can be found Luza old bell, and until it rises the town clock tower. It was built 1444th year, and its height was 31 meters. At that time, bronze twins and so-called “Zelenjaci” have been built. They hammer stones with each passing of time the clock is ticking. These were called “Zelenjaci” because of oxidized bronze that give green colors, and are known under the name Maro and Baro. In a large earthquake in 1667 they were damaged, and there was a danger of caving in and eventually they were replaced by copies. Today, the originals are kept in the palace Pronza.
Large Onofrio Fountain
At the entrance of the pile in the old town is an Onofrio's fountain. The fountain was built by Neapolitan architect Onofrio della Cava as a symbol of completion for the city water supply, which drew Dubrovnik spring water from the river 12 km away Dubrovnik. This water is now included in new water mains. Today, this beautiful fountain has 16 carved maskerona for effluent water. Here is a favorite meeting place of young people of Dubrovnik, but also the tourists to rest and rejuvenation with fresh water in the hot summer months.
Small Onofrio Fountain
Also built by Onofrio della Cava, located on the eastern part of the main street on the wall of the Main Guard. Special fountain are reliefs of boys on eight sides of the pool, and maskeroni, with figures of dolphins and see shell kneeling boys to sink and collect water. Besides being a great tourist attraction, has been part of the fountain and the famous scene in of Stanac Dubrovnik playwright Marin Držić.
Palace of the Grand Chamber
It is situated between the city and the tower Rector's Palace. The palace was built in the 14th century, but was burnt to the ground in a fire in the 1816th. On the same site was built in 1882 year the new Town hall, where there is the administrative seat of Dubrovnik. As part of this area also is famous city of Dubrovnik cafe and theater.